Political Activities and Involvement
- 1993 to 2000, served two consecutive terms as a Randolph County Commissioner representing the western district.
- While serving as county commissioner I was actively involved in promoting county government issues at the state legislature. I served two years as the legislative chairman for the Association of Indiana Counties (AIC). I testified numerous times before House committees and lobbied House and Senate members.
- In 2000 I was elected as the President of the Association of Indiana Counties (AIC).
- From 2005 to 2009 served as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Union School Corporation located at Modoc, Indiana.
- I have been a Republican precinct committeeman in Randolph County since 1990.
- Past President of the Randolph County Lincoln Club
- I have attended four Republican State Conventions representing Randolph County.
Employment and Related Experience
For the past 20 years I have served the communities of East Central Indiana as a private grant writer/grant administrator specializing in obtaining Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds. In this time I have obtained over 100 grants totaling nearly $30 million for community and economic development projects. These grants have been for water, sewer and storm water infrastructure, fire stations, fire trucks, libraries, day care centers, low-income health clinics and funding for job creation projects. Over the years we have obtained grant funding for every incorporated city and town in Randolph and Jay Counties. I have also worked with and obtained grants for the towns of Gaston, Eaton and Albany in Delaware County.
From 2001 – 2004 I served as the Region 8 Director for the former Indiana Department of Commerce. Region 8 was comprised of six counties in east central Indiana. I assisted communities in obtaining state funding and worked with existing industries, helping them expand and increase employment. I also worked with each county’s economic development professional helping to provide state incentives for new business recruitment and attraction.
2005 – 2006: At the start of the Mitch Daniels administration the functions of the Indiana Department of Commerce were transferred to the Indiana Economic Development Corporation and the Regional Offices were closed. During this transition I served as Director of Community Development for the newly formed Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs. (OCRA) I was responsible for Indiana’s $36 million in CDBG funds allocation.
Between the years 2007 – 2009 I assumed the responsibilities of Executive Director of the Randolph Economic Development Corporation. During these years the economic development corporation successfully purchased the assets (land and manufacturing buildings) of the former Union City Body Company in Union City and the Champion Homes manufacturing facility in Ridgeville. The Union City Body Company facility was used to attract Ag Growth Industries, a Canadian farm equipment manufacturing company, to the county. The company now employs 120 workers.
2010 to current: organizing partner in Beumer Consulting, LLC, Farmland, Indiana. Our company is a community and economic development consulting firm specializing in finding funding for all types of projects. We also do comprehensive planning for communities and provide strategic planning facilitation.
2013: I was selected to serve as the interim-director of the Randolph Economic Development Corporation for nine months. During this time Randolph County announced its first wind-farm project. We were also successful in bringing a call center to downtown Winchester and adding a new lumber and hardware company to the county.
I provide all the grant administration certification training for the Indiana Office of Community Rural Affairs. (OCRA) I am one of only five Master Level grant administrators in our state.
Volunteer Work, Affiliations and Awards
- 15-year member, Board of Directors, St. Vincent Randolph Hospital
- Randolph Economic Development Corporation, Board of Directors
- Active volunteer and past three-term president, Historic Farmland USA
- Chairman for the past four years, Farmland Chili Cook Off
- Active volunteer and past secretary, Huntsville Community Center
- Active volunteer, Winchester Churches and Community Food Pantry
- Past board member, Indiana Landmarks Foundation
- Recipient of the Distinguished Hoosier Award signed by Governor Mitch Daniels
- Recipient of the Winchester Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year Award